[Coco] dw 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:20:55 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> Darren A wrote:
>>
>> On 11/21/10, Robert Gault<robert.gault at att.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The main point is that with 256 disks per drive#, copying from/to
>>> floppies
>>> should not present any real problems. It is copying from one DW slot to
>>> another
>>> which is the main problem which is easily solved with a RAM disk designed
>>> work with HDBDOS.
>>>
>> ---
>>
>> Setting up a RAM disk along with DriveWire is an extra step that only
>> complicates the process (assuming it's possible). Even then you have
>> to make multiple BACKUPs to achieve the desired result.  Then there is
>> the fact that some people may be using DriveWire on a CoCo 1 or 2
>> where a RAM disk really isn't an option.
>>
>> Having a switchable setting in the server that allows each slot to be
>> treated like a single floppy disk seems like an elegant solution to
>> the problem.
>>
>> Darren
>>

> Darren,
> I think you are saying that the switch should permit drives 0-3 to be drive0
> on each Drivewire slot instead of drives 0-3 on a single Drivewire slot. If
> that is the case, copying files from one slot to another is not much simpler
> than using a floppy for the transfer.
> To be most effective, the DW switch would need to be able to select any
> drive 0-255 per slot. If, for example, slot 0 was drive1, slot1 drive23,
> slot2 drive152, and slot3 drive237, and the Coco could address these as
> drives 0-3, then you would have an optimal solution.

Hrmm we may have some wires crossed.  What the switch does is to
ignore the drive sent in the DW op call altogether, and instead map to
a disk image based on the sector being read or written to.  Sectors
0-629 point to "disk 0", 630-1259 are "disk 1", and so on all the way
up to disk 255.  DRIVE #0-3 makes no difference, DRIVE 0-255 does.