[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Nov 22 09:14:04 EST 2010

On 22 Nov 2010 at 8:18, Mark McDougall wrote:

> And the GIME simply does not "use a 16-bit bus for memory access".

Not a 16 bus but a 2 byte read per cycle. .

The memory is configured in 16 bit wide.  The GIME (at least the video section ) reads a byte
at a time multiplexed through the two buffers controlled by the CAS line. So in its half of the
machine cycle it will read two bytes but not together.

>From what I can gather that is partly why the CPU clocks are locked to a multiple of the color
burst frequency. It seems the GIME has more priority in memory reads than the processor. A
GIME video section with true 16 bit read would speed things up a little bit .

james