[Coco] [Coco, now OT] Is there a good, runs on a coco but from a terminal like /t2 editor?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 20 12:09:20 EST 2010

On Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:00:30 pm Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, November 20, 2010 02:02:57 am Roger Merchberger did opine:
> >> Does that mean that you were asleep when you wrote this?
> >
> > Probably.  What I am doing is testing, maybe as a crew of 2 or 3, some
> > patches to the scheduler in linux that seem to give me the snappiness
> > I expect even when the load on the machine from an intensive process,
> > like amanda doing a 10Gb compression with gzip --best such as is
> > going on right now.  In fact, I am not seeing the lag I have come to
> > expect when the load average is 1.59, it feels much the same as it
> > did when the load average was 0.04 2 hours ago.   Aka one heck of an
> > improvement in the desktop's feel. So this patchset is a keeper
> > IMNSHO.  2 patches, applied to a virgin 2.6.36 kernel.
>
> I completely agree!  Didn't want to bother with a new kernel, but there
> were a couple of rc.local + login script hacks that do the same thing
> (change algorithm for prioritizing process groups).  Wow.  The
> difference isn't even subtle, is it?

No, its not 'subtle' in any sense of the word, this reaches up and slaps
you in the face, gently to be sure, but it sure lets you feel the
difference.  This is the two patches Mike Galbraith has talked about on the
kernel ML.

> A keeper for sure.

Agreed.  I didn't get the config quite right on the 1st build, but its right
now, and with a 44 minute uptime so far, I am well pleased.  But they are
not talking about getting this into the vanilla kernel till 2.6.38 at the
earliest, nearly a year down the log from here.  No chance of getting it
into .37 as the merge window closed a month ago.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)