[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 20 10:05:06 EST 2010

There is flash memory on the DE1 board and there is 8MBytes of SDRAM
which to the best of my knowledge is not used.
Access to extended memory can easily be achieved by mapping in another 8
bit page register in I/O somewhere to extend the memory.
This would remain backwards compatible with the CoCo3 as the register
would not need to be modified for existing programs.

The overheads of SDRAM access may make it slower than the SRAM on the
DE1 board. It is possible to implement a cache out of internal memory
rather than using the internal FPGA memory for ROM. The cache would
speed up both SDRAM accesses and Flash memory and would even allow you
to share the memory with multiple CPU cores. I'm not sure what the
capacity of the DE1 Cyclone 2 FPGA, but I'd imagine its pretty similar
to the the XC3S1000 Spartan 3 on the Xilinx Digilent board. I had the
idea that Gary's CoCo3 only used about 2/3rd of the capacity of the
Spartan 3 FPGA. The CPU uses only a relatively small proportion of the
FPGA, so it should be possible to implement a multi CPU version of the
CoCo3. NitrOs9 could then be updated to include inter processor
communications and you could conceivably schedule tasks to run on
different CPU.

This is probably not of much interest to those who just want to run
games, but does provide an opportunity to those who are interested in
extending the capability of the operating system.

FPGAs are much slower than you average PC with clock speeds around
100MHz as opposed to 2 or 3 GHz, however, The FPGA can be incrementing
the Program Counter of the 6809 at the same time as it's performing some
ALU function or calculating a register offset.  Also the PC has to
execute multi-cycle instructions to interpret the 6809 instruction,
(albeit piplelined) so even with the most optimized assembler code, you
are talking about many cycles and many instructions to do what the FPGA
does in one cycle.

Then there is power considerations. A PC CPU consumes in the order of
100W which at 1.1V is about 100A. The FPGA board by comparison can be
powered off a 500mA USB socket at 5V, so the FPGA wins hands down from a
power efficiency point of view.

There is also scope to integrate a Floating Point Unit in a CoCo4 to
speed up floating point maths, so there are lots of things you can do to
enhance the CoCo3. It depends on whether people want to extend their
ability and knowledge or whether they are content with the nostalgia for
the good old days, which is fair enough. I have no quibbles with that.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent