[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 20 08:32:45 EST 2010

On 20/11/2010 11:39 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I'm not sure where the idea that FPGA is slower than a PC came from,
> but it's simply not true.

Unfortunately, it simply *is* true Aaron.

IIRC the absolute best we can squeeze out of Coco3FPGA is... what... 25MHz?

How fast do you think you can emulate a 6809 on a 3GHz machine? The mediocre
performance you're seeing is because the emulators in question aren't
optimised for speed - because they don't need to be. In most cases they're
optimised for cross-platform compatibility, and for ease of programming.

I've seen a 1?2MHz Amiga copro emulate a 2MHz Z80 system at full speed.
Imagine what you can do with a processor clocked 250 times faster...

Regards,