[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Nov 19 23:10:58 EST 2010

On 19 Nov 2010 at 19:57, Steve Ostrom wrote:

> [...]

Steve and all

In hardware (FPGA) I think it would not be all that difficult to keep backward graphics
compatibility.

The INIT1 register has 5 unused bits. So you establish one bit to be COCO3/COCO4 switch.
That invokes a mux to determine which set of the 8 registers is active at FF98 to FF9F.
Therefore the current video registers are redefined depending on the state of a bit. Rather
simple task even for software I would think.

Currently bit 0 of INIT1 register is the task bit. This allows either one or two tasks. Using bits
1 and 2 would allow 8 tasks to be switched in and out. Combined that with bit 7 as a super
coco bit, there still is three unused bits to control functinality of what ever. Also there is
essentially two unused bytes in the FF9x range that are used by others that can be redfined
for a super coco use or left for memory expansion beyond 2 Meg as it is now basically used.

As for VGA, 800x600 is not a real issue or even 1024x768. That resolution becomes your
desktop. Now you have a window that is programable to any size which overlays onto that
desktop. Essentually what a modern PC or MAC does. By reusing existing registers in the
FFCx/FFDx range can lead to lead to one or maybe two or even three hardware windows on
the desktop at anytime. This is all doable in hardware. Not certain about software as that is
beyound my expertise. For SECB this may not be useful unless you have multiple processors
and enough memory to assign each window an associated processor and then in SECB you
could run multiple seesions at the same time. Multiple hardware windows have probably
better uses in OS9. Along with more than two tasks, potentially greater computing power or
at least better use of time while other processes are waiting on peripherals.

Also one could expand each of the FIRQENR and the IRQENR registers to add two more
IRQ sources to each register. Or even concatenate the two and make them 16 bit priority
IRQ controller.

The biggest one for any FPGA hardware that I have yet to see mentioned and am somewhat
surprised to not see it pop up. Why not a 6309 in an FPGA?

These are just a few ideas I have mulled over for the past year or so and said what if!

I do think it is time now to start put in motion some of the ideas. maybe not all at once maybe
some to start and grasually work otehrs in as some form of a project matures. It is fun in a
way to just see how far you can go with an 8/16 bit processor.

just my thoughts put down on electronic paper.

james