[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo?

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Fri Nov 19 19:48:27 EST 2010

jdaggett at gate.net said the following on 11/19/2010 10:07 AM:
> Yep
>
> 2009 saw the end of analog TV transmisstions in the USA. The old NTSC analog sets are
> worthless today. No one here even considers buying used ones for resale. They have
> become dinosaurs here.
>
> Everything is transmitted digitally over the air now. There still maybe some abalog signals up
> on the C band and K band satellites. Most of the signals on those transponders have been
> digital for over a decade now. Easier to encrypt and no longer is the NTSC color burst a
> sacred cow.

	That's funny, there are still hundreds (over a thousand) stations still
broadcasting NTSC television. Low power and repeater stations are exemt from
the digital mandate. I can get 4 where I live.

See http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/LPTVmap.html for a list of low power
stations.

> On 19 Nov 2010 at 8:46, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>>> Here in the USA unless you have a old TV floating around, there is not a real easy solution to
>>> just plugging into a TV anymore. Most Digital set now have VGA, S-video or HDMI interface.
>>> Some of the digital sets made a few years ago do have Compsite video input also.
>>>
>>> Going further into the future, digital sets will more than likely drop composite and S-video
>>> inputs and rely strictly on HDMI and VGA(DVI) interfaces.
>>>

>> Interesting.. I haven't turned on a television in years, other than to
>> use it as a monitor on older computer systems.  I suppose if that is
>> the way things are going, cheap devices that use a TV as a monitor
>> will cease to exist.  Or, maybe VGA is becoming cheap enough to
>> provide an alternative to composite.  I'm sure the big media companies
>> would like to make it impossible to view anything without the proper
>> DRM limitations, hopefully that won't turn out as they hope.
>>
>>> just my thoughts
>>> james
>>>
>>> --

Christopher R. Hawks