[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 13:19:18 EST 2010

Well, it is clear there are some who are committed to the idea of
using a general purpose PC running an emulator, and some who like the
FPGA approach.
And then we have Steve's project with the disk controller pak, which
is really cool although I'm not sure if it helps us get to a "coco 4"
type of situation.

Personally, I think emulators will never provide the CoCo experience
that FPGA does.  However, I do love using emulators when working on
Coco software, they are a very useful tool. I also certainly
understand the price issue.. if you can run the CoCo 4 without buying
any special hardware, it will be accessible to more people.  I have my
doubts about a hardware interface for emulators that would let you
connect real CoCo peripherals.  There is an awful lot of complexity
there, it's certainly over my head.  But, there are some who support
the idea of emulation and have said they aren't worried about
connecting peripherals anyway.

I love all things CoCo so even though I don't prefer it, I'm happy to
help make the emulator based coco 4 a success if I can.  What exactly
is holding up such a thing from happening?  We have at least three
nice emulators and have had them for years.  Is it just lacking
someone interested and skilled enough to start adding new features?
It's probably out of my league but if there was a list of ideas or
desired things, I'd try to help.

AFAIK, MESS is the only open source emulator, so the only option for
adding new things.  Unfortunately, the official MESS project probably
wouldn't be very interested in anything outside of emulating the
actual CoCo, and MESS already does a great job of that.  To add new
features in BASIC might be possible if it's just some changes in the
ROM image, since you can load any image you want, but changing the
emulated hardware would probably mean forking or maintaining a set of
patches to the mainline MESS.

Anyway, just some thoughts and want to let everyone on every side know
I'll be happy to help even if what you're up to isn't my preferred
solution :)

-Aaron