[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Nov 19 10:24:17 EST 2010

That's why I would prefer a streamlined/hidden OS and the machine pop up in the emulator from the start. Put it all on a USB thumb drive and set the computer to boot from that then restart. No Windows or DOS. Pretty easy to get the DOS based emulator up and running like that. Use a something small like a hacked Thin Client or ITX board and you'd just about have a "CoCo4", except it has no enhancements. An improved Super Extended BASIC would be nice.

While we can't agree on a platform, what "we" (the CoCo community) could do for the FPGA and Emulated "CC4" is define SECBII (Super Extended Color BASIC II) and what enhancements would be practical for both FPGA and emulation. Easier access to greater memory, better graphics (harder for FPGA version), better sound, etc. Anything added to the FPGA version can be added to an emulator, so the FPGA version should be the limiting factor. No real concerns about OS-9/Nitros, those are easier to add/modify drivers for.

----------------
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:49:55 -0500
From: Mike Rowen<mike at bcmr3.net>

Ok, I get a turn.:)  I only rejoined the Coco word a few months ago.
It's been a blast. I have been watching the FPGA developments and I
will eventually jump in by getting one. Emulators aside, I too enjoy
the feel of actual hardware solution. I think I prefer it because it's
not enjoyable to continually step in and out between Coco and a PC OS.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"