[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:28:19 EST 2010

Some good points, perhaps part of the reason there are such diverse
opinions on what a "coco 4" should be is that we have different ideas
of what a coco 4 should do.

For me, there are two goals...

First is preservation of the CoCo experience.. all those little things
that make the CoCo the great system that it is.  Instant on, simple
programming in both assembly and high level languages, hardware that
is easy to interface with.. a platform that encourages
experimentation.  Beyond the tangible details, there is just something
special about turning on a CoCo and seeing that green screen.  I don't
know how to put it into words properly, but I think the CoCo 'magic'
is what keeps a lot of us interested in the platform.

As real coco hardware gets older and older, we will hit a point where
it isn't easy to run a real coco system.  I don't think it's happening
yet, but seems inevitable.  A 'coco 4' to me needs to ensure that the
full CoCo experience is available even when CoCo hardware is not.

The second goal is to just make doing CoCo stuff easier.  I personally
am not interested in adding new capabilities as much as making it
easier to access the existing ones. I am interested in being able to
compile a C program in seconds rather than minutes, or a better
debugging system, or to easily transfer program source back and forth
between another computer for editing, or just to be able to easily
share programs with other users.   I'm not so interested in creating
new languages for the CoCo, after all there are a lot of choices in
modern languages on modern platforms for just about any need.  Mostly,
I just enjoy being able to use the existing languages more easily.

For me, the FPGA solution provides 90% of everything I'd want in a
CoCo 4.  The remaining piece of the puzzle is interfacing with coco
peripherals.  I don't know what is possible on that side of things.
Having joysticks and a rompak connector would make the fpga solution
complete in my eyes.  Maybe that is asking a lot :)

I think some people might be looking for a "modern" computer, one that
you would use for everyday computing tasks.  That is what Mr. Bjork's
coco 4 sounds like.  I think that's a difficult goal.. modern
computers become outdated computers every few years.. a coco 4 that
attempts to be a modern system is going to be shooting at a moving
target.

On the other hand, I think there is value is trying to bring parts of
the CoCo experience onto a modern system.  Maybe a CoCo BASIC type
environment that ran on modern systems would be a way to approach
that.  If SuperBasic 4 ran on PCs instead of a dedicated platform, it
would be accessible to a much wider audience and more adaptable to the
constantly changing definition of what a modern system is.

That'll be $0.02.  Opinions expressed in this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of anyone important, and are subject to change
without notice.
-Aaron