[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo projectthatBjork was heading?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:09:26 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that the coco4 has to be the end of the line? Any problem with a
> coco5,coco6, etc?
>
> I've grown fond of using drivewire instead of an actual physical floppy on my coco3fpga.
> The only way to beat it would be wireless. :-) The cartridge roms can be loaded into
> flash and run from there. It wouldn't take much flash memory to hold a LOT of roms. It
> also shouldn't be to hard to build a "joystick to usb" converter and connect them that
> way. A usb adaptor of some sort may be the best way to add a cartridge port(s).

You may soon be able to load ROMs via DriveWire as well.  As for the
wireless, you can make any serial connection "wireless" using a
bluetooth adapter, although I haven't tried it myself.  Bluetooth is a
little too fussy for my patience usually.

A way to connect joysticks to the CoCo3FPGA on Altera would complete
my "CoCo 4".  Besides that, the CoCo 4 is already a reality, as far as
I am concerned :)

We have CoCo 3 compatibility, greatly increased speed, low cost,
interesting new I/O possibilities, and great people working together.
What more could you ask for in a CoCo 4?

-Aaron