[Coco] DriveWire 4 GUI

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 08:01:18 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I've added Linux 32 and 64 bit builds, and thanks to Todd we also have
>> an OSX 64 bit build.  I'll get a Win 64 up later tonight... so 32 and
>> 64 for win/lin/mac will be available.
>>
>> If anybody is familiar with Java and SWT and knows a way to automate
>> building for multiple targets, I'd sure appreciate some help getting a
>> better system in place.  Right now I have to build each client
>> individually on the system it's targeting.. lots of VMs etc.
>
> I'm confused.  I thought the entire point of Java was "compile once, run
> anywhere"?  Are you using JNI-based classes somewhere?

I don't think "run anywhere" is the only reason Java exists, but it is
a nice bonus when it works.

I used the SWT GUI components because Swing is ugly and weird.  SWT
ties to native GUI elements, so the application looks and feels like a
native one (uses top menu thing on Mac, etc).  However, this means
there are shims that are unique to each platform that must be used
when building the final jar.  You don't have to rewrite anything, but
it seems you do have to build it for each platform.  Maybe there is an
easier way, I am by no means an expert.

-Aaron