[Coco] Which Mark? Marlette or McDougal or Ormond? was Re: Intro.

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 20:06:04 EST 2010

Personally, I think progress is glorious.  "know of" is different
from "been there".

The good old days : typing up 100 cards on a punchcard machine,
marking the edges so that in case they get dropped you can put them
back in the right order, waiting 2 days for the ANOVA to come back
from the Computer Center.  I'll say it again : I think progress is
glorious.

On Nov 13, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Steven Triller wrote:

> Well, "progress" is not as glorious as one might think, often new
> technologies are merely fads promoted by corporations with the
> agenda of making money, which is what they exist for. This sadly
> results in many good units that are still useful today and may be
> of historic value being tossed in the trash, also this create an
> environmental problem, so many good working CRT TV's thrown away
> because of the "Digital-Transition" sigh.............and they will
> continue to pile up in Garbage dumps..........why not recycle the
> useful material like the plastic and the metal parts? ? We could
> use them to at least produce the new Digital set's. As for what
> many may perceive to be boring stories about........well
> anything........those stories may well be relevant to those
> kids.....but rather than talk about something relevant to the
> world, they would rather talk about something stupid and irrelevant
> or about the "latest development" "look Apple computers just
> released a new Ipod" Or "did y
>  ou know so and so are doing it?" How can people prioritize such
> frivolous discussion over what is relevant to the world? They are
> being consumed by their own petty self-interest and ignoring all
> that is around them, the problems and what is great about the
> world. I do not wish to change or "improve" this community, but the
> whole world, Call it CoCo or just Color Computer 3....although I do
> not think Mark 3 or Version 3 would be wrong, even though the
> general consensus is CoCo or Color computer. Lastly I am aware of a
> time when there was no personal computers, I know my history-I know
> of the big tubed computers used by the government and educational
> institutions in the 40's-70's.
>
>> From: jimhrubik at earthlink.net
>> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:16:11 -0500
>> To: coco at maltedmedia.com
>> Subject: [Coco] Which Mark? Marlette or McDougal or Ormond? was
>> Re: Intro.
>>
>> Sounds like phishy went a trolling ...
>>
>> Madagascar, CoCoNut -- Art, that does make sense in a strange way.
>>
>> There will always be some people who desire to join a group just so
>> they can "improve" it, and its just like us old curmudgeons to resist
>> the "improvement".
>>
>> Gotta keep telling myself there are people on this list who never
>> knew a time when there were no personal computers.
>> Or even pocket calculators.
>> I like regaling the kiddies with stories about the party line; they
>> can't fathom the idea of placing a call through an operator.
>> I miss my slipstick; my grandkids think I'm kidding when I talk of
>> logarithmic scales.
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2010, at 4:59 PM, Steven Triller wrote:
>>

>>> I understand, but do you not think that Mark or V3 would made more
>>> sense than just 3?

>> No man is free when his life is controlled by the whims of a
>> majority.

No man is free when his life is controlled by the whims of a majority.