[Coco] CoCo VGA Adapter

Little John sales at gimechip.com
Tue Nov 9 13:39:38 EST 2010

When I first hooked it up with the faster Crystal - I got a perfectly stable
picture, it was just off the top left of the screen. Using the monitors
Horizontal & Vertical position controls I just moved the image until it was
almost centered (it wouldn't perfectly center, but it was close enough
horizontally). Vertically it was still off the top of the screen a bit (but
readable) so I adjusted the VGA adapter (it comes with instructions for the
available adjustments which are inside the unit). Chances are, you'll be
able to get by simply by adjusting the hor/vert position and width/height
controls on the monitor (the monitor I am using is an OLD GoldStar and
doesn't have any of the advanced adjustments available on newer units).

Important to note, using the faster crystal will not allow you to load from
tape programs that were saved with the previous crystal (i.e. all standard
coco tapes) and the bit banger baud constants will need to be adjusted.
Although I haven't tried it, this will probably affect the functionality of
drivewire as well since it is geared for the standard crystal. I socketed my
crystal and made a jumper selectable crystal board that has 28.475Mhz (PAL),
28.63636 Mhz (NTSC), 32Mhz and 40Mhz crystals (40Mhz not tested yet, but
unlikely to function - it would result in 2.5Mhz speed at poke 65497,0 - the
syncs would likely be too far out of whack for the converter to sync to).