[Coco] joystick on fpga (was Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:12:11 EST 2010

>> For me, the FPGA solution provides 90% of everything I'd want in a
>> CoCo 4.  The remaining piece of the puzzle is interfacing with coco
>> peripherals.  I don't know what is possible on that side of things.
>> Having joysticks and a rompak connector would make the fpga solution
>> complete in my eyes.  Maybe that is asking a lot :)
>
> No, definitely not asking a lot. Just costly to implement in small
> quantities. The joystick no-so-much, you can easily add a gamecube or
> dreamcast controller to Coco3FPGA on the DE1.

I'm wondering, would it be more difficult to interface with tandy
joysticks?  I'm not too familiar with the controllers you mention, but
I thought most game systems used dpad,  4 or 8 position switches
rather than the x/y analog axis found in the coco joysticks.  seems it
would be hard to play some games without that.. plus everybody
probably has the tandy sticks already.

-Aaron