[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or NextCoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Nov 18 09:41:25 EST 2010

Still two camps -- hardware (FPGA) and software )streamlined emulator/OS
combined). I'm of the software camp because it would be easier, cheaper,
and quicker to accomplish. If you bought all new hardware cost would be
comparable, but even an old Pentium 1I computer can be had for a song
and would still have the computing power to emulate a CoCo at a
relatively high speed -- though there's no reason to go so far as a P1
when even P4 machines are relatively cheap now. And most of us have an
older board that would be great for this at little to no cost.

What I really advocate is both -- do the streamlined emulator with an
advanced DECB and use it to develop a higher level Nitros, then put the
resulting "machine" in an FPGA hardware configuration. Both would be
compatible software wise, but for those who needed/wanted a compact
board it could be done. Of course the emulation/OS combo would run
easily on something like an ITX or embedded Intel board too.

It's the attempt at a "coco4" by Steve b. that's dead. The dream lives
on!! :-)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"