[Coco] OSK, 68K question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:10:51 EDT 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010, Willard Goosey wrote:
>So, I was reading http://www.folklore.org/ about the creation of the
>Macintosh, and came across the comment that the 68000's relative jump
>only has a range of 32K.

Wow!  That sounds as bad for what was supposedly a 24 bit cpu, as the 8 bit
2's complement the z80 had.  What a pima that was.  You had to pick a spot
somewhere in every 'page' of memory, which was 256 bytes, for a set of
absolute jump addresses because a conditional with a builtin jump had the
+126, -129 range limit, so a long conditional jump was actually 2 jumps.

For obvious reasons that was my first and last pass at writing Z80 code for a
transmitter ATS system.  I could have done it faster with an RCA 1802,
although the code would probably have been slower.  The 6809 hadn't arrived
on my horizon then.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)