[Coco] megaread

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sat May 22 11:54:26 EDT 2010

Boisy G. Pitre said the following on 05/22/2010 06:43 AM:
> I looked closer at the megaread source and it appears that last year Bob Devries made a change to allow you to pass a number on the command line to alter the number of 1K blocks that are read.  The default is 1024 1K blocks (1MB) but you can apparently read 2MB by doing this:
>
> megaread 2048
>
> I've made and committed some changes to the source file to allow one to easily adjust the read size from 1024 to another value.  I've also added acquiring start and end times, though the algorithm for finding the difference between these two times has yet to be done.

Cool!!

	Then I can check the speed of my 360k floppys:
load megaread
date -t; megaread 256 </d0@; date -t

May 22, 2010 10:00:31
May 22, 2010 10:00:55

So that's 24 sec for a quarter meg, 96 seconds for a megabyte read.

Faster than Drivewire???

DriveWire3, 120 seconds.
SuperIDE with SD card adapter and SuperDriver v2.1, 22 seconds.
SuperIDE with CompactFlash and SuperDriver v2.1, 18 seconds.
TC^3 SCSI with a FAST SCSI drive and SuperDriver v2.1, 12 seconds.

Geez, now Boisy's gonna think I'm out to get him...

Somebody better check this.

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft