[Coco] DriveWire does MIDI

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:05:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> I just ordered the HDB-DOS DW pak from Boisy. Should I have better luck with
> DW4 with this than I did the floppy image we tried to use? Or is there a
> special ROM for DW4?

There is no special ROM for DW4, it is designed to work with the
DriveWire 3 ROM.  In fact, for a long time we didn't want to call it
DriveWire at all, since it sort of goes in a new direction and doesn't
add much on the "drive" side of things.  In the end, we couldn't
come up with a better name, so it sort of became DriveWire 4 by
default.  We worried that it would be assumed there is a DW4 ROM
to go along with the server version 4, so I try to reiterate often
that this is not the case.  DW3 ROM is the most current DW ROM and
DW4 is designed to work with it.

I'm sorry but I don't remember the exact issue we had before, I've
worked with a lot of people who had a lot of issues (joking :).  Boisy
found and corrected an issue not too long ago that may have resolved
the problem we had before, I know it affected certain situations where
you want to boot from a non DW device and then use the DW modules in
OS-9.

We need to get a better mechanism in place for building disks for DW.
Right now we support booting from ROM in the default images on
nitros9.org, but getting the DW drivers onto a disk that boots from
anything else is sort of a chore.  I'd like to at least generate
images for booting from standard FD.  Yet another project :)

-Aaron