[Coco] megaread benchmarking

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu May 20 16:30:07 EDT 2010

At 01:52 PM 5/20/2010, you wrote:

>I sincerely tried to build a bridge with you yesterday by making a
>generous offer: I buy your pak, develop the SuperDriver driver, then
>give you the resulting product free of charge. I would assume all
>the risk; you would sell an extra pak and get a free product if I
>completed it.  In all honesty, I can still do it, but I wanted to
>show you that I was willing to work with you directly.  Instead, you
>chose to pass on my offer.  Over the years, I've purchased multiple
>products from you, but in all of the years that Cloud-9 has been in
>business, you have never purchased one single product from
>Cloud-9.  Why is that?  Is it a matter of pride?  Not Invented Here Syndrome?

You know I think the Cloud-9 gadgets are cool, and dangit Boisy I've
made this clear in words for Years on my site, using banners, links,
and personal statements.  But I'm not the average customer, and I
barely have time to use anything except what I'm developing.  That's
one of the reasons I haven't clicked a Buy Now button.

And the best bridge we can have is to "compete" silently if there is
to be any at all from either party.

>I've watched you on this list for months talking about the drive
>pak, CoCoNet, etc, and using superlatives like "best" to describe
>it.  I get the opportunity at the fest to see one first hand, then
>run a benchmark and post the results. Your response is to blow a
>gasket and claiming that we are out to get you. Come on dude. You
>can't be naive enough to think that at some point, megaread timings
>for your pak wouldn't appear on this list, do you?  If it wasn't me
>posting it, it would be someone else.  How would you have reacted
>then?  A lot different, I suspect.  But because of my association
>with Cloud-9, every time I post something that is even remotely
>critiquing in nature, you claim I am beating up on you.

The ever progressing NitrOS-9 image on the pak's distro card (a
Kingston 2GB MicroSD) might not be the best way to benchmark the
Drive Pak itself and suggest that all Drive Paks will run the
same.  On top of that, a benchmark is not just a speed test.  When
Cloud-9 demands to set the rules for me, I tend to talk back... at
least give me that right??

>I think this benchmark thread is about done.  If you didn't know
>before, you now know exactly what throughput your pak is capable
>of.  The only person you have to beat now is yourself.  You know
>what the top performance mark is, so you can go after it all you
>like, and more power to you. People who will buy your pak for its
>form factor and small storage are going to buy it anyway.  People
>who will buy the SuperIDE are going to buy it for throughput and the
>ease of flashable ROM images.  It's that simple.

I'm not disagreeing with the above, but the Drive Pak w/CoCoNet is
really a completely different product.  I'd love it if everybody
could own both and just flip between them at will and have all kinds of fun.

--
~ Roger Taylor