[Coco] Bechmarks and speed limits :)

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu May 20 15:34:59 EDT 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 01:19 PM 5/20/2010, you wrote:
>
>> Agreed.  This will affect the timing as well.  Megaread probably won't be sensitive enough to pick up on the timing effects of those, however.
>>
>> At this point, any benchmarking of the Drive Pak serves to test subsequent releases of the driver to see how performance can be improved.  Roger points out that the 254 second megaread doesn't accurately reflect the true speed of the device, and based on the theoretical throughput, I agree with him.
>>
>> The height of the ceiling is known; now the goal is to get as close to it as possible.
>> --
>

> The irony....
>
> I just wanted to point out to the hundreds of possible onreaders that the odd part of this whole thing is that Boisy and I are both good 'ole Louisiana boys.  Monroe and Opelousas are not far away from each other.  I moved to Texas 5 years ago, but I've made trips to the Lafayette area many times.  I've ate their crawfish and alligator and it was a little better than ours up north.
>
> I've spent a good deal of my childhood on bayous and catching my own catfish and crawfish.  I've eaten them raw out in the field, after 2 beers of course.  If you're hungry, you're hungry.  :)
>
> A few people have called me a coonass at work in the past.  They say, "you're a loozianna boy?", and I always correct them and say Louisiana, although my daddy still utters "lou-a-zanna".  I have no idea what that's about.
>
> One of my friends who owned Gabeaux's in Monroe moved back down there but I'm afraid his seafood days might be over now due to the disaster at hand.
>
> I'm just rattling the chain here but letting Boisy know that we are more alike than most realize or probably care to know... so don't take these arguments too seriously.  Apparently, both our mamas raised us both to argue well.  I know mine did.   The only time we didn't argue is when she made gumbo which was oh, 3 times a week.  Sometimes I caught the crawdads out in the cow pasture just using the bacon on a string trick.  Sometimes I'd use the fatty bacon that came from the hogs we raised, that ate slop and left over gumbo.  Damn....
>
> So I got my first speeding ticket in life a long time ago in Opelousas, La. I met eyes with the trooper at the top of the hill and he BENCHMARKED me doing 74 in a 55, and did a Dukes of Hazzard spin around.  He took my license and we had to go ID-less clubbing over the weekend in Lafayette where all the clubs are on one street, and I had to play my charm to get in some of the bars.  The live bands were loud and the fiddles were smoking.  Those were the days.
>
> I've broke the speed limit in Boisy's town in the past... and now he's telling me I can't go over 45.51.
>
> Oh, this is getting interesting.  :)

Roger,

This is a very good post, and you are right:  it highlights that in terms of shared heritage, geography and paths crossed, we have more in common than probably anyone else on this list.

So why, oh why, must we continue to fight?

I'll let you on a little secret: my mother's maternal grandfather was a man by the name of Leo TAYLOR.  But I have been holding out a long time to admit that to you.

Could this be the start of something new? :)
--
Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/