[Coco] WARNING! Possible virus script hijacking of CoCo3.com !!!

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Thu May 20 11:22:52 EDT 2010

At 04:28 AM 5/20/2010, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>When I clicked on some of the links in the thread on the "256 color mode" to
>posts on coco3.com my antivirus intercepted a number of virus infection
>attempts.
>
>My suspicion is that coco3.com has been hijacked by some script emitting a
>virus! So please be careful, and Roger, please fix this ASAP!
>
>/Fedor

Thanks, Fedor.  I think this was a global thing so don't hold me
accountable too much.  I definitely keep up to date daily on the
captcha and anti-spam updates.  WordPress is impressive with these
features which suggests that hacks like these might sometimes be
induced by people who were or are on the coding teams of these
systems, or somebody who has studied the code very well.

If I restore the last backup, there will be posts lost.  I'm going to
try to update the entire WordPress system to the latest version using
the BlueHost cPanel options and make another backup prior just in
case, and if something goes wrong I'll have to rebuild using FTP
which could take a while.

It seems that every time I brag about my top google rating, the site gets hit.

Rest assured, no archives will be lost, and since nobody has any real
personal data on the site... just hang in there and I'll recover in
time and bring her back.

Until then..... Norton users should be good.. mine reported Once then
I could browsw the site as usual, but then the Gallery pictures are
blank.  I disabled that plug-in to see if it would help.
If the script is only in the Gallery, it still means that the
thumbnails that used to be in the left column could emit the .js script.

Somebody would have to let me know if disabling the gallery fixed the
problem, but I am still going to do the fresh update of the WP system.

--
~ Roger Taylor