[Coco] FPGA CoCo and video

Becker, Gary Gary.Becker at amd.com
Thu May 20 10:32:47 EDT 2010

I guess I can answer part of this question.

Both

I have owned several CoCo systems. I really enjoyed my last CoCo3 running OS9. I used it for several years before having to move to a more mainstream system.

The work with FPGAs has become a hobby to me now. I no longer do programming for work, so I started re-creating my old 8-bit computers. The CoCo3 is not my first project. I started with a much simpler system and worked my way up. I have another that I have not yet started. I have now spend more time on the CoCo3 than on all other projects combined. But I still do not think it is finished. I am not sure what it will take for me to think it is finished. The CoCo3 was truly a remarkable piece of technology in its day.

The 6809 CPU section was written by John Kent. For some reason, CPUs seem to be beyond my level of expertise. I do not believe John has any CoCo experience. He lives in Australia and has several 68XX CPU and Systems to his credit. His 6809 implementation is part of his System09 project running some version of Flex. Details of System09 and his other projects can be found at his web site.

http://members.optushome.com.au/jekent/

Please do not bother him with questions about the CoCo3 implementation of his 6809. All those questions should come to me. I can be reached at my personal email address, gary_L_becker at yahoo.com or post questions at the yahoo group.

I am hoping as the user base increases, some additional expertise can be added. For some reason, most cartridge ROMs do not work. I am sure I do not understand the multitude of "tricks" they have employed for copy protection and bank switching. So anyone with some insight there would be appreciated.

Gary