[Coco] DriveWire and CocoNet (was Preserving old CoCo diskettes...)

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed May 19 17:23:53 EDT 2010

At 03:41 PM 5/19/2010, you wrote:

>So.. in a nutshell... Coconet supports things in BASIC that DriveWire
>likely never will (and I hope I've given an acceptable explanation for
>why this is).  DriveWire does things in OS-9 that Coconet currently
>cannot, but I look forward to seeing where Roger will take his system
>in the future.
>
>-Aaron

Now I remember, the networking stuff came right after the last Cloud
9 spat we had here and they decided to give DW3 away.

Either way, keep up the good work.  It's not for me, but then I'm not
the average customer.  I did try to get DW4 working and ended up
yelling WTF at least once, but then I saw your messages about it not
being 100% ready yet, and I can relate to that with some of my
projects over the years.  Sometimes it's fun to put it out there and
get some feedback, unless people start attacking, "why isn't it ready
you rat bastard!"  :)

The developer's life.

One other thing:  there has been a lot of notes comparing CoCoNet
with DriveWire, or DriveWire with CoCoNet.  Let me reiterate that the
simple scheme that DriveWire did to give remote virtual disks over a
bitbanger cable, and the grand scheme of CoCoNet, were not even on
the same chart or page and although I found it a major insult to be
told I was undermining another product, I kept quiet for the most
part.  I laughed, but not to the class, mind you.

CoCoNet currently "networks" multiple drive systems together which is
a luxury I haven't seen yet for the CoCo.  Web disks.  HTTP/FTP
requests.  This was already in CoCoNet before DW4 gained any similar
features.  If DW4 wanted the same features, I say go for it.  Make
CoCo users happy with more choices.

None of this really matters that much to me more than it matters that
We've Got Some Damn Good Stuff today and I'm hooked on developing
CoCo stuff, period.  I'm not going away, so get used to more cool
stuff for years to come, and whether or not people find it
competitive doesn't really affect any outcome.

--
~ Roger Taylor