[Coco] Preserving old CoCo diskettes...

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed May 19 15:31:53 EDT 2010

At 01:31 PM 5/19/2010, you wrote:
>Here's the only real problem I see on this issue. As a consumer, I don't
>understand the competition aspect of this. I see innovation on both sides of
>the track, that will benefit me when I decide to make a purchase. Yet, this
>is not a large market, but, I'd like to think there's room enough for two
>similar, but, different products. Yes, there is some apparent similarity in
>function between the DrivePak and some of Cloud9's products. However, IMHO,
>it's only a similarity...

Brian, I generally try to stay quiet and spent most of my CoCo years
since the early 80's out of the spotlight.  It doesn't surprise me
that a few might think I just crawled out from under a rock one day
and made myself a competitor against another group.  For the record..
"Cloud-9" was not around before Roger Taylor Software was around.

My simple solution CoCo gadgets are my own and were Not based on
Cloud-9's ideas.  The idea of a serial port based drive system was on
my mind in the 80's and I do remember mentioning some of these ideas
to a certain person by e-mail in the early 90's.  Ideas
spread.  Ideas get talked about, posted on the web, and sometimes
many people come up with the same idea about the same time based on
other stuff they've seen.

Some of this stuff Just Happens because it's the modern way of doing
things.  Everybody's coming up with storage solutions.  What else
can't I make?

And my serial cable... I was making them back in the 90's before I
ever saw a cable from Cloud-9, but yet my cable today is a competing
cable somehow.  It's a darn serial cable.   Actually, it's a HQ
cable, but basically just a 4 wire cable.  And there's been no order
button for the cable in over a year on the site because of all the
pak orders I'm trying to keep up with!!

Btw, the next generation Drive Pak idea was to be FDC-based but I'd
have to file a darn patent on that before somebody else claims it was
their idea.  Not.  :)

And as for new ideas.... they will keep coming and everyone is
welcome to realize them in their own way, and then try to sell it to
those who can't make their own.

>Without the products guys like the three of you create, there wouldn't be
>much of a CoCo hobby here. Keep up the great work guys.
>Brian

Yep.

--
~ Roger Taylor