[Coco] Preserving old CoCo diskettes...

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue May 18 22:54:04 EDT 2010

> From: "Roger Taylor" <operator at coco3.com>
> will cut that in half when I move to the deblocking scheme.  If I can
> get the megaread (not really a good tool) down to 1:09 or so, I'm
> happy with this, but I won't trade a single bit of quality or
> stability just to meet somebody else's expectations of what a false
> benchmark should show.

Roger, speed is a very big deal. It seems all our I/O today should be faster than the CoCo could keep up with. If modern implementations can't be as fast as what I was running when I was last using the CoCo full time fifteen years ago, I'm not sure what to make of that.

For more "real" benchmarks, I guess showing format time and backup time might be decent. I know I will be backing up hundreds of floppy disks to your SD device (and/or across DW serial link). Speed will certainly matter for me ;-)

		-- A