[Coco] 40 track floppies and DriveWire

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:36:56 EDT 2010

On 5/18/10, Allen Huffman wrote:
>> BACKUP a 40 track floppy to the first 720 sectors of a DSK file.
>>
>> POKE &HD286,40
>> POKE &HDA42,32
>>
>> The first POKE changes the track count for the BACKUP command to 40.
>> The second POKE prevents DriveWire from accessing more than one
>> virtual floppy disk within a DSK file. This avoids the problem where
>> writing to DRIVE 1 would start at the 630th sector in the DSK file.
>
> Could you explain more about the second POKE? I was extensively familiar
> with RGB-DOS years ago, but if I understand you, this would do it, but you'd
> effectively have to "not" use DISK 1 in the virtual HD array (and remember
> not to do that)...?

The 2nd POKE essentially allows you to to do a BACKUP from real floppy
drive 0 to virtual floppy 0 in the DSK file.  Without this POKE you
end up with a DSK file containing an empty 35 track image as virtual
floppy 0 followed by your 40 track image as virtual floppy 1.

Using a 40 track DSK file under DriveWire is a different problem
altogether.  This solution is only for archiving the floppies.

Darren