[Coco] 40 track floppies and DriveWire

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:01:53 EDT 2010

On 5/18/10, Allen Huffman wrote:
> I have many floppy disks that are 40 track. I use a DOS boot loader to run
> dfix to patch for 6ms and 40 track so I'd just type DOS and be set.
>
> Can this type of disk be backed up over DW? I think no, since HDB-DOS is 35
> track disks only....

---

Using DriveWire 3 HDB-DOS version 1.1D on a CoCo 3 (or from RAM on a
64K CoCo 1/2) there are two simple POKEs that will enable you to
BACKUP a 40 track floppy to the first 720 sectors of a DSK file.

POKE &HD286,40
POKE &HDA42,32

The first POKE changes the track count for the BACKUP command to 40.
The second POKE prevents DriveWire from accessing more than one
virtual floppy disk within a DSK file. This avoids the problem where
writing to DRIVE 1 would start at the 630th sector in the DSK file.

After entering these POKEs, use the following commands to backup from
a real floppy in drive 0 to the file mounted in the DriveWire server:

DRIVE OFF 0
BACKUP 0 TO 1

Darren