[Coco] FPGA CoCo and video

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon May 17 17:57:32 EDT 2010

On 17 May 2010 at 16:41, Mark Marlette wrote:

> All,
>
> As this is exciting there are several hurdles that still need to be jumped and lots of testing that needs to be performed.

Mark, since you are using Gary's  software on the DE-1, what is the color depth on your
setup?

> This is not my work, wish it was.... :)
>
> There are several camps on what a CoCo is, then on a personal level what a CoCo is to you. One shoe does not fit all. I can say I like all the shoes! :)

I concur on that.
> What makes the CoCo fun is personal and different to each.
>
> There are two platforms. I am only familiar with the Altera which the price was listed. That product is shipped from Taiwan, add ~$35 as I recall.

I am more familiar with Xilinx than I am with Altera. Simply the Xilinx parts are slightly
cheaper in unit cost than that of the Altera devices, or at least they once were. Though I am
intrigued by the Altera EP2C20 device as it is available in a QFP package and the XC2S1000
is not. Gary's Becker's Coco3 should work in a XC3S400 if you strip out the ROMs and place
them in an EPROM or flash ROM/RAM external to the FPGA.

james