[Coco] dw4 beta v2

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon May 24 07:04:04 EDT 2010

I've put together yet another beta release, available at:
http://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/

Along with lots of bugfixes and small improvements, this version
supports MIDI very well.
The included disk images have the /MIDI device loaded, mfplay and
ubox3, and some sample MIDI files on the extras disk.

There are a large number of new commands for managing the MIDI
features, hopefully making it very easy to play the great music
created on the CoCo.  I've added profiles which let you map the
instruments of keyboards that were popular "back in the day" (Yamaha
PSS480, Casio MT540 and CT460) back into General MIDI in real time.
It's easy to add profiles for other devices as well, provided you can
find documentation for them.  You can use the built in synthesizer,
which supports loading alternate soundbanks, or redirect the MIDI data
to any other device connected to your host computer.  I included Sun's
"Deluxe" soundbank in the archive, it makes things sound pretty
decent.  Everything is controlled from the OS-9 command line, defaults
are set in config.xml.

I've been having a lot of fun with this, there are a lot of midi files
on RTSI to listen to.
-Aaron