[Coco] Allen's Videos, Roy's Hexapod, John's Video Player, Rem's Demos - WOW!

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat May 22 21:13:10 EDT 2010

Today I managed to find some time to go thru my email and read some of
the back-digests of the list. I've been amazed, dazzled, boggled!

First off, to Allen Huffman, your videos of the 2010 fest looks great; I
loved the teaser, as well as the interviews. It was great to put some
faces to some names.

To Roy Justus: You beat me to the punch! I was planning on "sometime"
(when I had time, if I ever get some time - got some I could borrow?)
using Roger's RS-232 pak (or the bit-banger) to interface with an OWI
Edge arm using an Arduino (and then later, if I really found some time,
converting an Armatron for computer control and hooking that up to the
same interface). Your hexapod proves it can be done; mind sharing the
code with all of us? BTW - your vga adapter is wonderful!

To John Linville: I was floored by your video player; the 256-color
screening of "Star Wars" was amazing - I am glad to see someone using
this mode for more than still images. That, and you included sound
output...!

Finally - Remz (Rems?) Demos: You are the "up-and-coming" next
"Sockmaster"; I hope that at some point you combine all your skills and
create one kick-a** game - maybe it will be the racing game, or maybe
you'll expand your scrolling sprite demo, or maybe something else? Will
you be using the 256-color mode? Will there be wonderful SID-like sound?
I don't know, but your stuff is something to watch for...

---

While part of me is glad to see all of demos and new ideas being
implemented, a part of me is sad, yearning for the days when I was in
school and all of this was so new, so exciting; this "home computer"
thing. I get the same feeling whenever I read or think about other
topics, such as the developments in VR in the 1990s - so much potential,
but only barely tapped, and having to wait for time to catch up. Even
so, I am glad that I can see it all now.

I am hoping maybe to attend next year's Fest, and meet some of you guys.
Maybe by then I will have some of my personal issues sorted out and I
will be able to dedicate the time and money for travel.

Thanks again to all for everything, and what appears to have been a
wonderful Fest!

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona