[Coco] CoCo 1&2 clock cycle events (CPU, SAM, VDG interaction with RAM)

Fedor Steeman petrander at gmail.com
Fri May 21 08:09:46 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Looking in the Technical Ref Manual, studying the diagrams, and several
other sources on the internet, I am trying to understand exactly the
sequences of events during a CoCo 1/2's clock cycles. As I am not an
electronics buff, this is not an easy task for me. I just wanted to know in
what order, CPU, and VDG interact with RAM, as mediated by the clocking
signals provided by the SAM.

This is what I pieced together so far:

 - E-low & Q-low: VDG reads data byte
 - E-low & Q-high: CPU sets RAM address
 - E-high & Q-low: CPU reads/writes RAM byte
 - E-low & Q-low: SAM sets RAM address for VDG

Is this correct? Or how else should this picture look like?

Thanks for any insights!

Cheers,
Fedor