[Coco] Capturing Composite Video From CoCo 3

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu May 20 15:35:09 EDT 2010

I'm trying to make a video with a PCI video capture card of the
256-color slideshow demo.  The video coming off the CoCo 3 is jumpy and
noisy on the video capture card.  I have used it with a composite
monitor and it doesn't seem to have the problem with that.  RGB is crisp
on the CM-8 (well, as crisp as it ever was...) and RF modulated video
looks good on a TV.

I've tried two different coax cables, but it doesn't seem to make any
difference.  I've put a couple ferrite shells on the cables and it
doesn't help.  A video camera hooked up to the capture card's input
produces solid video.  I've even tried a (cheap rad-shak) video
amplifier.  None of these things seem to make any difference at all.  It
sure looks like the capture card just doesn't like the CoCo as a video
source, though monitors don't have the same complaint.

Anybody have any suggestions that don't involve reengineering the GIME chip?

JCE