[Coco] Sort of OT: raised by Radio Shack

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat May 1 10:37:29 EDT 2010

----- "John Guin" <johnguin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> This article is popping up on boingboing, make and other sites:
> http://blog.reifman.org/2010/04/raised-by-radio-shack.html
>
> (Notice the shot at the color computer?)
>
> John

I don't recall that young snot, but I am very annoyed at his dissing my disciple Josh.  (I was only at the Wilshire-La Cienaga store for a couple of months, moving from Las Vegas and waiting for the downtown L.A. RSCC to open).  Mind you, Josh was well ahead of my meager talents before we met.  A good kid, though that movie really sucked (not his fault) -- they turned a good science fiction novel into a damned fantasy story, the reason Andre Norton never let any of her other books be filmed, and I've read some damned good treatments.

Then and for the next several years, I was practically the only Radio Shack employee in southern Califnordia that gave a damn about the Color Computer.  I guess it helps that I was in training and tech support, stuck to a (low) hourly wage rather than upselling for commissions.  (I will admit that I was personally responsible for at least half a million bucks in "lost sales" to Radio Shack in the several years I was at 740 South Olive Street -- I cut out the middleman (salesman promises the world, tech support guy busts ass for a couple months to make the customer happy, system gets returned and refunded -- I [doing tech support] slid between the salesman and the customer, admitted that what we had wouldn't quite do what he wanted, but the folks a block away at Computerland had exactly what he needed -- I was not welcome there, even to buy magazines, after a few of those reroutes where they had to deal with stupid customers Radio Shack salesmen would have happily collected commission on, and my liver would have taken the rest of the story).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

<home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd>