[Coco] [OT] Remember text based Lunar Lander?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Mar 30 19:43:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 02:55:50PM -0700, John Guin wrote:
> When I was in 8th grade, we had an assignment to convert any game from Ahl's
> books to the Commodore PET machines we had.  40 column screens - converting
> from 80 wasn't too hard unless there were too many columns in the original
> code.  Lunar Lander was one of these.  And if I remember right, some of the

I have some old BASIC code I typed in from K-Power(?) books, but those
are newer than what you're talking about.

> games were written for 132 column line printers, which was just about
> impossible to convert in any meaningful way.

Heh, I've got some BASIC programs like that on one of my CP/M
machines.  I think they printed out banners, but of what, I can only
guess.

> But honestly, the spaghetti code in this listing is too circular (but well
> written in a pasta-ish sort of way) to unscramble and I'll just rewrite this
> from the ground up - so to speak...

Yeah, I can imagine.  Even if it wasn't spagetti, porting from one
varient of BASIC to another can be more trouble than its worth.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard