[Coco] email sent from a CoCo

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Mar 28 06:32:33 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 03:36:29AM -0400, aawolfe at gmail.com wrote:

> Tonight I wrote a very simple SMTP client in BASIC09 that works in
> the style of the unix mail command, it takes a couple arguments on
> the command line (to: address and subject) and then creates a
> message with the body read from standard input.

And it worked!  That's pretty cool!

>A mail reader would be possible if there is interest in such a thing.

The KA9Q package includes "bm", a basic user client or "MUA" (reads
and writes files in a spool directory).  If you wanted to support it,
your program (a "MTA")  could just poll the spool directory for
outgoing messages and poll the server for incoming messages.

bm is pretty primitive, about like "mail" on a Sun 3,  You'll probably
get flamed if you expect people to use it.  On the other hand, you
could tell them to port pine themselves.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard