[Coco] "Downland" Mystery on the CoCo3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:01:12 EDT 2010

The best site I know of for info on CoCo games is Curtis Boyle's.

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/downland.html

Here it is indicated that the Downland rom pak will not work on a CoCo
3.  Sockmaster suggests a (scary) workaround.
There is also a .BIN that can be downloaded which has been patched to
ron off disk and works with CoCo 3.

On another page, in an email from the author of Downland, the author
explains why it won't work on a CoCo 3 (i am assuming he confused Coco
2 and CoCo 3.. but could be wrong):
http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/approvals/michael_aichlmayr_approval.txt
He does say that he sent Tandy a version that would work on CoCo 3 and
even used a new graphics mode, but that Tandy never released it.

Todd Wallace has a pak that works fine in his Coco 3, I have two paks
that do not work in any of my coco 3s (but they both work fine in a
Dragon 64).  Although the part number on Todd's pak exactly matches
the number on mine, I think they must be different.  Perhap supporting
this, Todd found a version 1.0 and a version 1.1 rompak image online.

So apparently, unless someone knows more, Tandy just changed the
contents of the rompak at some point?

-Aaron