[Coco] New CoCo site for programmers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 24 10:32:12 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Jason Law wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>
>No problems with age mate, just those that show no personality and only try
>to put others down to make themselves feel better.
>
>Yeah agreed on typos in code, I tend to focus a lot more on the details of
>what I'm writing there :)
>
>I do respect the older guys for what they have contributed, that said I
>still believe respect is something that's earned and not just expected to
> be given to older folks. Or those folks who feel the deserve respect for
> what they have done years ago and no longer contribute in any positive
> way.
>
>I have no intention of alienating anyone, but at the same time, if we can
>discourage the ones who are in it for themselves and will only bring others
>down, then I have no problem discouraging them not to join :)

The ones who were in it for themselves, have long since gone on to greener
pastures.  Sometimes not too far away.  Michael Sweet for instance, used the
handle of dodge-colt back in delphi days 20 years ago, eventually wrote the
Common Unix Printing System, aka cups.  After becoming the default method on
linux for several years, he sold it, and himself to Apple, but still does the
linux versions too.  He wrote as a CS class assignment, a BRU for the os9
systems, which worked, and I did 2 newer versions of it myself, but that
whole concept was sorta clunky & I was never able to get a usable recovery
speed out of it.  8 minutes to write a 720k diskette wasn't too bad, but 30
minutes a disk to read it back was painful.  My system at the time, a maxtor
130 meg scsi hard drive, needed almost 90 of those disks for a full backup.
I did it once, needless to say.  It worked, but the time took all the
usefulness out of it.

Several others have made similar switches, and appear to be making a good
living at it.  The coco, and the 6x09 cpu's, were and are yet today, great
teachers.  Its up to us to get a passing grade. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Everything can be filed under "miscellaneous".