[Coco] DW4 beta 1.4

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 10:36:11 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Darren A <mechacoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/13/10, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Jason Law wrote:
> >
> >> I've had a bit of a look at it, so it's all Nitros9 yeah?
> >>

> > Yes
> >

> The DW4 server will still support the Disk I/O features in HDB-DOS,
> correct?

Yes.  DW4 does everything that DW3 does and uses the same ROMs and protocol
to do it.  It is 100% compatible (unless I've made a mistake, and in that
case I will try to fix it :)  DW4 just doesn't offer any significant *new*
features that can be accessed without OS-9, nor does it improve existing
features for a BASIC user.

In fact, the user interface at this point requires OS9 as the UI is provided
via OS-9 commands (this will hopefully be augmented with a web interface in
the near future but OS9 commands will always remain a very useful way to
configure DW4).

I would probably not recommend DW4 for a BASIC/DOS system, as there seems to
be no compelling reason to change and DW3 works very well.  However, it will
provide all of the same functionality as DW3 in a basically identical way if
you do choose to use it this way.