[Coco] early OS-9 ads/articles compilation

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Mar 8 14:10:21 EST 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I added everything that seemed interesting all the way through the
> announcement of OS-9 for the CoCo.  There was a huge amount of
> activity in the OS-9 world prior to it becoming an option for us
> coconuts.

A few observations:

1.  Whether or not BASIC09 was commissioned, specified, or begun before
OS-9, it appears that OS-9 was actually available before BASIC09.  The
August 1980 Microware ad doesn't list a price for BASIC09, though it
does for OS-9 and even the Microsoft BASIC (elsewhere referred to as
"Disk Extended BASIC"...).  It could be an oversight in the ad.  It
could mean "if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it..."
But since BASIC09 does have a price listed in the December ad, I take it
to mean something more like "we expect BASIC09 to be shipping any time
now... certainly within a few months of your seeing this ad."
2.  In the "Q/A" list from October 1980, it mentions that most of
Microware's programs (presumably, though not explicitly including
BASIC09) will not be ported to other operating systems and will only run
under OS-9.  So it looks as if the decision not to make BASIC09 a
standalone product would have been made by that time (if there was ever
any question.)
3.  I always knew that OS-9 was designed to be "ROMable" but the the
earliest OS-9 ads, describing a ROM-based system that even supported KC
tape systems makes me wonder anew why OS-9 on the CoCo wasn't available
as a ROM PAK with cassette support, at least as one optional
configuration.  This was Motorola's big idea, and Tandy certainly took
to it for games, and even applications.  It was certainly technically
feasible.  Think how many more CoCo users might have gotten into OS-9 if
it was available on e.g. a $79.99 cartridge that could save programs and
files on cassette.
4.  I have some disk images of OS-9 LI for the SWTPC (a long term
project of mine that's swapped out at the moment.)  I could fire it up
in the SWTPC emulator and we could do a little comparison between SWTPC
BASIC09 (presuming it's actually there... it may not be on the available
disk images) and the CoCo version.

JCE