[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 22:02:15 EST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM,  <jdaggett at gate.net> wrote:
> James
>
> I would rather think it clears things up.
>
> Also if you take a hex editor and look at the copyright info within Basic09 and the RUNB
> module you will see Mototola and Microware names in the copyright. Along with the 1980
> year.
>
> One other thing to consider. There is BASIC09 and then there is BASIC09 for the COCO.
> The two may or may not be identical. The Basic 09 for the COCO may have had tweaks in it
> for their wants and marketing.
>
> I would also think that with forks into the OS, the OS had to at least be developed in
> conjunction with or before BASIC09. Otherwise those forks would be useless in BASIC09.
>
> One last note the OS9 for the COCO is a modified OS9 for the COCO. OS9 can be taylored
> to any 6809 system. Just because the COCO version of OS9 was released in 1980 time
> frame does not mean it was the first or only Level 1 OS9 version.

Indeed.  I have been reading through each issue of the 68 Micro
Journal.  The first mention of OS-9 or Basic09 occurs in a letter
dated April, 1979.  It is apparently sent from someone at Microware
but no name is given.

The letter describes many features of both OS-9 and Basic09.  It says:

"Motorola contracted Mircoware to produce the finest possible software
for the 6809.  The new software we have prepared for Motorola includes
a new BASIC language plus an operating system.  The software will be
available soon from Motorola and Microware.  Here are a few
highlights:"

It then goes on to describe the Basic09 Language System and the OS-9
Operating System.
It also mentions that they will be introducing a 6809 Macro Assembler,
text editor, and 6809 version of A/BASIC.

The letter recommends that anyone considering a 6809 system make sure
the system is compatible with their software (6809 systems were just
becoming available at this point). There is mention of Percom and
GIMIX systems compatiblility and a note that SWTPC had not yet
released information on their 6809 system.

All of this is prior to any CoCo information.  I believe no one knew
that the CoCo was being created at this point, although Microware may
have known due to the Motorola/Tandy/Microware relationship.