[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 21:33:38 EST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM, James Hrubik <jimhrubik at earthlink.net> wrote:
> It's there.
>
> Some more, maybe muddying the waters?? from the BASIC09 Reference Manual,
> Page 1-2,
>
> "THE HISTORY OF BASIC09
>
> BASIC09 was conceived in 1978 as a high-performance programming language to
> demonstrate the capabilities of the 6809 microprocessor to efficiently run
> high-level languages.  BASIC09 was developed at the same time as the 6809
> under the auspices of the architects of the 6809.  The development project
> covered almost two years and incorporated the results of research in such
> areas as interactive compilation, fast floating point arithmetic algorithms,
> storage management, high-level symbolic debugging and structured language
> design.  These innovations give BASIC09 its speed, power, and unique flavor.
>
> BASIC09 was commissioned by Motorola, Inc., Austin Texas, and developed by
> Microware Systems Corporation, Des Moines, Iowa.  Principal designers of
> BASIC09 were Larry Crane, Robert Doggett, Ken Kapan, and Terry Ritter.  The
> first release was in February, 1980."
>
> I would hazard a guess that the OS came before the language, because the
> language incorporates system calls.

Maybe.. again it's not so clear.  Basic09's support of system calls is
not well integrated.  The "RUN SYSCALL" technique is actually pretty
generic and could have been tacked on after most the rest of the
language was complete.  I think I remember comments on the list before
wondering why SYSCALL was not part of RUNB.

OS-9 has deep support for Basic09 in that I-Code is one of only 4
defined values for the "language" field in a module header (defined
are: data, 6809 object code, basic09 i-code, pascal p-code).

It does seem that Basic09 was known when OS-9 was created, but OS-9
might not have been known (or well defined) when B09 was created.  I
think it's fair to say OS-9 knows more about B09 than the reverse, at
least.