[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 23:30:55 EST 2010

Just found this article:
http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/article/7744/You-can-lean-on-me.aspx

It's short but contains this interesting bit:

" So why is something that was originally developed as a platform on
which to run a basic language interpreter more than 20 years ago,
continuing to gain followers?
Ric Yeates, senior software architect on RadiSys’ OS-9 project,
attributes OS-9’s popularity to several factors. Firstly he suggests:
“It was used to support the Motorola 6809 processor (which featured in
the popular Tandy computer) and it was a logical progression to
convert this run time environment to a full OS. So that’s where it got
its size and performance characteristics.”

Once again a mention of OS-9 as originally being just a support system
for Basic09.   There are some inaccurate (or very over generalized
statements) in the rest of the text, so take it with a grain of salt.