[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:47:57 EST 2010

> Have you considered contacting Allen Hoffman? He at onetime worked for
> Microware.. I think. Also Boisy may have some input here... not too sure about
> that either, but they sure do know about the OS itself.

I've spoken with Boisy at length about this, he confirms that what is
known sounds right but doesn't have inside knowledge of how the
Basic09 project lead to OS-9.  I'll send Allen a note and see if he
can add anything.

It's really not a critical point, but I find it strange that the
origin of OS-9 is explained (in several places) as "well, we made
Basic09 and thought we better make an OS to go with it".  It's like
Micro$oft saying "well we had this Word processor so we thought we
better create Windows".   If OS-9 was released even initially as a
simple way to get Basic09 running, it might make more sense, but from
everything I can find OS-9 was a fairly complete OS from v1.0 that
could do much more than launch B09.

Maybe Microware got Motorola to foot some of the bill for developing
OS-9 by claiming it was part of the Basic09 project?  just another
wild theory :)

-Aaron