[Coco] Refresh your floppy's

Donald Person donald.person at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:05:54 EDT 2010

I personally think it's just entirely due to how/where/environment the media
is stored in. Plus the random variables in the actual manufacture of the
media. Years ago I copied my 5.25" to 3.5", and a few of them had indeed
succumbed to the ravages of time; fortunately most of my "good stuff" was
saved. It's amazing what people out there are doing to save our data from
that era; Have you guys checked out textfiles.com ? Have you seen the BBS
documentary? It's crazy how many people still have their original disks
collecting dust in their basements, probably no good anymore.

As another poster stated, I've had some media go bad rather quickly, yet I
personally still have the first CD I ever burned and it's just as good as
the day I made it. On the other hand, a disc I burned a few years *after*
that is showing signs of oxidation from the inside. (This doesn't happen
very much at all on new media, but back then you could get a batch where the
protective coating over the reflective layer was thin and would wear away
fairly easily.)

For my "replaceable" files, I now store them on an external HD; for my
super-important and non-replaceable files (like pictures), they get backed
up to optical media; I would like to see a study done on the longevity of,
say, SD cards because I would love to go buy a bunch of the 16 GB SD cards
and use those as a permanent backup; a lot more data storage than optical
media and a lot less space needed to store the cards vs. optical discs.

P.S. - For those of you that care about this sort of thing, I burned my
first CD in 1995 on the college's burner, and ONE blank cost me $15.. YES,
15 dollars for ONE blank disk  lol -- The burner itself cost the college
several thousand dollars... What a change in 15 years, eh?!