[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 08:09:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Steven Hirsch wrote:

>> If all you want to do is get NitrOS9 running, use the standard CoCo3 6809
>> boot disk. It is a 40 track double sided disk. This workd well with the
>> standard FDC FPGA and the DW3 server. The CoCo3FPGA runs in "legacy" mode
>> and the disk controller appears to all the software to be a standard floppy
>> disk controller.
>
> That's not working.
>
> - Mounted 'nos96809l2v030209coco3_40d_1.dsk' on drive
>  0 in a DW3 server.
>
> - Downloaded fpga code.
>
> - Most of the time I do not get the splash screen - even from a fresh
>  power up.  Is something not being reinitialized properly?  Even a POKE
>  113,0 followed by reset is not doing the trick.
>
> - Typing 'DOS' usually comes right back to the prompt with no activity.
>
> - Occasionally, it will go away for a few seconds, DW will report a
>  handful of reads, then the OK prompt reappears.  It never boots.

Success!!  Turns out that the DW3 Linux server simply won't cooperate with
the DE1 CoCo 3.  Now that I know the correct diskette image to use, I
mounted it in a version of DW4 I have here and tried again.

Bingo.  OS-9 booted and is running properly.

Thanks to: Gary, Mark and Aaron. You are all gentlemen and scholars!

Gary, if you want someone to help with development of the "Compleat DE1
Coco Guide for Idiots.." please ask.  I think I walked into every possible
wall and hopefully can help avoid others doing the same.

Steve