[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 09:04:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>
>> ..and it did.  I brought up the control panel app under VMware and copied
>> what I believe is a proper coco3 rom image (32KB) to "flash" memory.
>
> Did you do a "chip erase" first?

Bingo!  That was the key step :-).  It started cooperating one heck of lot
better after that.  There _really_ needs to be a simple little checklist
for sake of idiots like myself.

>> So, where to start?  Do I have a bad DE1 board?  Is there some sort of
>> assurance test for the onboard memory and ROM?
>
> You should be able to read out the contents of the flash using the control
> panel to a file and compare it with the image you programmed.

Yes, it comes back with the same CRC.

Next issue.  The keyboard is dead.  However, I've seen discussion that
indicates a jumper change is required for 5V keyboards and will dig around
for that.

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

Steve