[Coco] RadiSys OS-9 5

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Jun 27 19:02:42 EDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 8:03 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Here's an interesting development.
>
> http://www.radisys.com/News-and-Events/Press-Releases/RadiSys-Microware-OS-9-Extended-To-Support-Latest-Embedded-Processor-Families.html
>
> It'd be interesting to know if they have device drivers that would work on the SheevaPlug.  SheevaPlug might be a proper match to OS-9.

While there may be base OS-9 for the processor family in the SheevaPlug/GuruPlug, it really depends more on the I/O on the devices. Ethernet drives, serial ports, etc. all have to be written if there is not a driver already for the chipset.

For GuruPlug (which I have on order), it uses USB for everything, and OS-9 has limited USB support at this time (flash drive, perhaps, not sure of what else has been added; we didn't have this much when I worked there). So, that would be the showstopper for making OS-9 run on such hardware.

BUT, if it has a supported processor and an RS232 serial port, getting base OS-9 up and running isn't a huge undertaking (though likely way beyond my capabilities since I am not a hardware guy and don't understand hardware).

If someone pitched the idea of making a port of OS-9 for such hardware, maybe RadiSys could be talked in to allowing it if they got to include it on their discs as an "unsupported" reference port...?

--
Over 125,000 digital pics from Disney, Theme Parks, and Ren Fests!
Visit http://www.AtTheFaire.com or http://www.DisneyFans.com