[Coco] Darwin, Corewar, Network Tierra,...

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Jun 23 11:15:58 EDT 2010

I am sure I have ran across all of those at some point in my life; most
certainly Corewars (probably have the issue of SciAm that was in
somewhere), and let's see - Network Tierra (a bunch of machines
simulating a cellular process?) - yeah, that's it; it was mentioned in
Kurzweil's "Age of Spiritual Machines", and Darwin, IIRC, was a
graphical game for the mac for selection and such?

Nope! Missed that one - actually, that one sounds new to me (may have
come across it somewhere, but never followed up) - I do recognize the
names of the authors. Not sure what I was thinking about, but it was a
"game" where "lifeforms" (2D stick figures of a sort) were selected by
the player to "evolve" an ultimate life form (I think the result was in
the center, mutations around the center that could be select?). It
might've been something by Wolfram.

Back when I was a kid in high school I played a lot with Conway's Life
on my CoCo, and attempted things like Corewars, along with other AI and
expert-system stuff. Its still a great interest of mine, though I
haven't pursued it much beyond reading lately. Right now I am going thru
Kurzweil's series in-order; that's my bedtime reading.

Thanks for posting the links; even seeing them again (and learning
something new), they are great links!

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona