[Coco] another Rare CoCo 2 :)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 23:04:11 EDT 2010

On Monday 21 June 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Monday 21 June 2010, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>>>Roger
>>>
>>>You ought to lool at his other listings. Such a deal an IBM 5100
>>> Portable Computer with APL and Basic. 64K of ram also. Bought from an
>>> original owner. Its 20% from $9999.99. Now downto $7999.99.
>>>
>>>any takers?
>>>
>>>james
>>
>> Is my memory playing tricks on me James?  I could swear I saw it at the
>> NAB once when it was new, and could have been had for only $4995.00.
>>  With 64k and APL which the guy was demoing.  1976-1981 range?
>
>According to both Wikipedia and http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html
>
>"From $8975 (BASIC  with 16KB) to $19,975 (BASIC+APL with 64KB)"
>
>There's a 5120 somewhere around my dad's place.  I played with it as a
>kid, weird APL computer with built in dual 8 in floppies.

Interesting.  I don't recall, unless they were under the table, if the one
the guy was playing with actually had any NV storage.  Built in 5 or 6" B&W
crt, and a keyboard with all sorts of extra symbols on the key caps.  I've
Been Moved apparently did not have any other software for it other than the
APL interpretor, which I assumed at the time was rom'd.

And I sure don't recall any pricing in that range.  OTOH, this was 30 to 35
years ago & wet ram isn't forever, darn it.